Contributors

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Birds and 'Bergs

When you are pretty far away from land, or ice, the most entertainment you
will find is birds, 'bergs and an occasional seal. We are FINALLY
encountering some sunny days here after days of non-stop cloudiness and
storms (and 40-60 Kt winds). I have to make sure I pop outside every now
and then to breathe in some non re-circulated air. And, of course, clear
skies are good for satellite passovers.

Other than the icebergs, of which I am attaching photos, not a whole lot of
excitement has occurred here. My days have been very busy, filtering for
about 12 hours every day in one form or another. But busy is good because
it makes the day go faster.

Tonight was Mexican night (Yum!). I think I overstuffed myself a tad but
it was worth it beings I really didn't get any lunch. I have been
exercising every day so I give myself an excuse to overindulge every now
and then. I find that I am much more aware of my eating and exercising
patterns at sea. It is very easy to slip down that slope of not exercising
and eating every dessert in sight. Then I return home 20lbs heavier!

The waters are very blue here, meaning there isn't much activity in the
surface water. Most of the phytoplankton biomass is found approximately
64-85 meters below the surface, avoiding high light and probably taking
advantage of nutrients there.

Anyway, I think that is all for now. Other than work I am trying to learn
Cribbage. I have only played one other time in my life. It is a lot of
fun but lots of strategy involved. We have a tournament coming up so I
want to have a fair showing of my abilities.

By the way, can someone tell me what type of albatross this is?

Chow.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aimee,

    I'm no bird expert, but could that be an Antipodean Albatross?

    http://www.birdlife.org/datazone/speciesfactsheet.php?id=30004

    Nice photo by the way.

    Norman

    ReplyDelete