Contributors

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

April Fool's Day

April Fool's Day brought about an interesting turn of events. The night
watch, a group that appears to be very creative, decided to pull a few
pranks for April Fool's day. As I exited my room that morning, on my way
to the gym, I happened to notice an out-of-place sign above the MPC office
door, picture number one or 'Starbuzz'. I knew it wasn't there the night
before. The back-story of this sign stems from the unlimited lattes that
flow from that office, of which I also partake. I now make my own lattes,
although for some reason they taste better when someone makes them for me.
Also, I am still working on my foaming-skills. The 'Buzz All Weather'
latte, in particular, I consume at least once a day (see picture two).
Although, I am very curious about the 'Buzz Bomb.' Sound delish!
There is another back-story for the third picture ('beware of the honey
bears'). The ET on the ship has a phobia about honey bears on ships; he
believes they bring bad luck (I thought it was women on ships who brought
bad luck. Huh.) He will remove the honey bears from the table he sits at
in the mess hall. So, some people decided to collect all of the empty
bears and make a sort of shrine. I thought it was very amusing. This is
what people do when they are bored. It keeps morale at a somewhat elevated
level. There were a few others that I cannot share here (or for which I do
not have photographic evidence).

Chow!

Aimee

3 comments:

  1. I love it! So creative. I've seemed to miss out on these kinds of interesting distractions when I am on a research vessel! AND LATTES! WOW...I don't even get any lattes living on St Thomas. I am lucky if I get one in a month! I am thinking of getting an espresso machine...did you catch on quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a fun April Fool's day, not fake-ketchup-coupled-with-a-knife type jokes. Sailors often have odd superstitions, but as the ET makes the boat go you can only torment them so much! :) My brother's an ET in the Navy.

    I sometimes wonder what chain of events will lead me to a state of exhaustion so great that I eventually start drinking coffee. So far I've made it through college, early years of my career, and living with a lover of all things coffee for 15 years, with only partaking of the occasional mocha. But I can brew it/steam it/froth it! We have three different coffee makers set up at home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoops-my brother's an EM, not an ET. I knew what he did, always get thrown off on acronyms, letters, etc. still, I'll stand by my original statement- one can only torment anyone working on a ship so much, no matter what their job. But of course, the fact that they are superstitious is what makes it fun.

    ReplyDelete